Inner Peace &
Energy, breath & mind are linked. If
your mind is distrurbed your breath and energy (prana)- also become disturbed.
So by rebalancing breathing - you rebalance your
energy and your mind - leading to a higher sense
of clarity and peace of mind.
The answer to life is inside us, we just need to find
it. Meditation is the path to The Truth, enlightenment, mystical experiences,
peace of mind and to the essence of true self.
"At the very outset we have to understand that we cannot
create truth, we cannot organize truth. Truth
is, was and will be. We cannot cheat truth. We have to reach that point
to receive it. It is not a mental achievement. It is not a concept, we cannot
change it. Sahaja Yoga establishes the proof of truth and enables you to experience
it. Where the seekers of truth are misled, the results have been disastrous."
Shri Mataji Nirmala Devi --
Finding true self is more about undoing than doing, peeling
off the layers of conditioning, of which we have hundreds, if not thousands.
The true us already is, we have just buried away, denied
and hidden it.
To read more about - true self / false self - check out
- invisible witness
How To Meditate
Meditation is an interiorized and directed focus of concious
It is quite normal to have distracting
thoughts when meditating - . just send them away by saying to yourself - 'Not
now' or by making the natural
sound Om in your mind.
Over time you will find it easier
to not to get distracted
- sit in a comfortable chair or lie down in a dim or
dark room, silently or with background music. Switch all phones to silent
- start with positive intention of mind. You can even
visualize yourself totally relaxed and in a state of meditation
- close your eyes
- start to relax
- Focus on your breath - breathe deeply and rhytmically
- Inhale for count of 7 through the nose, exhale for
7 through your mouth. Do this three times or until you feel relaxed and
focused. This clears out your lungs - breathing is refreshed
- Feel your stomach and diaphram move up and down
- relax your body - start with your toes making your
way up the body - feet, ankles, calves, knees, thighs etc.
- first tense each muscle then let go, known as 'letting
go motion' - this helps to relax. You might experience a tingling sensation
wherever you are focusing your attention
- focus on your stomach - that is where much anxiety
is stored - focus on it and relax. Then move up your back, to shoulders,
neck and head
- feel yourself getting lighter
- now take three deep breaths but this time hold the
air for 4 seconds before letting go.
- visualise energy / light, flowing through your body.
Imagine the light is cleansing and healing your body - washing out negative
energy of your body down to mother earth. This light can be focused on whichever
part of your body needs healing
- Imagine a circle of light is all around you, protecting
and healing you.
- Feel joy energy and Love,
emanating from your heart outwards
- remember how it is to be Loved (eg. by mother / partner)
- feel it
- remember how it is to love somebody else - feel it
- Send your love and energy to those who need it; focusing
on them and visualize them with more energy. Visualize white light surrounding
them protecting and healing them
- when you are totally relaxed try to still your mind.
This part may take some practice. This is the stillness or silence
- Aim for not having any thoughts whatsover. Just Be!
Be in the moment. Try not to analyse what you may experience - just go with
the flow. Just be aware.
- One way of stilling your mind is just to focus on a
object - either with eyes open - candle, flower. Or with eyes closed - visualize
being on mountain top). Many people focus on the
space between the eyes.
- when you are in a state of stillness - you have no
thoughts, just peace and love
- be aware of lights, sounds, images or music - you will
experience more of these as you become more proficient and reach deeper
and deeper states of mind
- when you are ready to finish your session start bringing
your attention to your body and the room you are in.
- know that the circle of light is always with you, protecting
and healing you.
There are many different ways of meditating and breathing
but the central themes are the same
THE RIGHT CONDITIONS The state of meditation can sometimes
occur spontaneously, when all the conditions are just right. However, most
of us need to work quite hard at our meditation techniques in order to get
into the right frame of mind.
- body comfortable
- mind focused internally or externally - not allowed
- heart must be at peace
- breathing must be relaxed
- wait patiently without expectations
Benefits of Meditating
As you become more experienced at meditating you will
find (from my own experience)
- see more images and sounds - seem to be linked to
future events / experiences
- Increased intuition
- dreams become more vivid, even lucid
- better dream recall
- higher sense of well being
- immediate relaxation, peace, joy, bliss and Love
- greater self awareness and powers
At worst Yoga and Meditation
- are good ways to reduce tension and anxiety, exercise, master breathing.
I find that audio cassettes
can be useful, especially for beginners.